Category


Historic

Theater Place

Theater Place

HHL Architects developed an adaptive reuse design of these two adjacent historic Main Street buildings. This was one of the first mixed-use projects in Downtown Buffalo to initiate the revitalization effort of the Theater District. The design incorporated a multi-level central atrium for circulation and borrowed daylight. Included in the facility were restaurants, night clubs,..

The Nash House Museum

The Nash House Museum is a National Register-listed former residence adjacent to downtown Buffalo. The building is a splendid example of a late 19th century vernacular, wood frame house, consisting of a lower and an upper flat. The building has survived in a part of the city which was once densely built with similar structures,..

Kleinhans Music Hall Restoration

Since 2002, HHL has lead a phased, multi-year restoration and reconstruction project of a National Historic Landmark, originally designed by Eliel and Eero Saarinen in 1939. This venue for the performing arts is home to the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and the Buffalo Chamber Music Society. The phased projects included extensive ADA compliant renovations, including vertical..

Frank Lloyd Wright’s Martin House: The George Barton House

After completing a Historic Structures Report, HHL began designing the restoration of this internationally known Frank Lloyd Wright-designed National Register house in 1992, 90 years after its original design for Darwin D. Martin’s sister and her husband. The house, a part of the Martin Estate, is a fine example of Wright’s transition to “breaking the..

Frank Lloyd Wright’s Martin House: Windows Exhibition

HHL Architects acted in the multiple role of curator, designer, and fabrication partner to create an exhibition of more than 70 art glass windows from the Darwin D. Martin Estate, originally constructed from 1903 to 1906. The goal of the exhibition was to promote a greater understanding of the architectural importance of the Martin House...

Frank Lloyd Wright’s Martin House Restoration

In 1904, Darwin D. Martin commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to design a complex of buildings to be his home. The Martin Estate was completed in 1907 on a 1.4-acre site in the Frederick Law Olmsted designed Parkside neighborhood of Buffalo. The complex included the Main House, the Pergola, the Conservatory, and the Carriage House. When..

Buffalo Museum of Science: Solar Dome Restoration

The Buffalo Museum of Science is a National Historic Landmark, located in a Frederick Law Olmsted-designed park. The Solar Observatory Dome, installed at the roof level of the museum in 1930, houses a solar scope that transmits images of the sun via prisms and mirrors to visitor’s floors below. HHL Architects designed the replacement copper..

Buffalo Museum of Science: Entrance Plaza Reuse Study

In 2007, HHL Architects worked with the Buffalo Museum of Science on a planning study that investigated the design and restoration of the main entrance plaza and two levels of lobby space. Following the study, HHL Architects developed a facade restoration plan for the Museum which was funded by the City of Buffalo.

Buffalo Museum of Science: Changing Exhibition Galleries

Buffalo Museum of Science: Changing Exhibition Galleries

In 1999, HHL redesigned two of the static gallery spaces at the Buffalo Museum of Science so the museum could use the space for multiple purposes, whether it be for exhibits, events, educational programs, etc. Included in this project was the design of modular, moveable cases that met the museums curatorial standards for temperature and..

Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society Master Plan & Renovations

A significant element along the northeast edge of the Frederick Law Olmsted designed Delaware Park, the Pan-American Building (Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society) is the only remaining structure from the 1901 Pan-American Exposition and is a National Historic Landmark. For Phase I of this project, HHL Architects developed a Master Plan for the museum..