HHL Architects prepared a master plan, which included site evaluation, selection, programming, and concept building design for a new County Court Building. The County ultimately decided to use the existing historic Old County Hall campus for the Civil Courts, the Annex (25 Delaware Avenue) for the Criminal Courts, and 77 West Eagle for auxiliary functions. HHL Architects then designed the renovation of the three buildings located in downtown Buffalo.
Old County Hall, a National Register of Historic Places property, was built in 1876 and includes Grover Cleveland’s former Mayoral office. The building was renovated and restored to house the County Legislature, County Clerk, Surrogate Court, Civil Courts and Courts Administration. The 1960’s era Annex (25 Delaware Avenue) was completely renovated to be the primary Courthouse, including new Criminal Courts, Court Clerk, Jury Selection, and the District Attorney. The adjacent 77 West Eagle was renovated to serve as the Law Library, including a day care facility.