Frank Lloyd Wright conceived the boathouse in 1905 for the University of Wisconsin for a site on the Yahara River. The project, never built, was redrawn by Wright as a perspective sketch for presentation at travelling exhibits in 1930 and 1931. At that time, the stated materials changed to concrete from the original plaster on wood frame.
HHL Architects, working in association with Taliesin Architects, has developed Wright’s sketches into plans for a working boathouse on the Black Rock Channel, where Lake Erie joins the Niagara River. The new boathouse complements the activities at the adjacent West Side Rowing Club and provides multi-purpose indoor and outdoor space with views of Niagara River and Lake Erie.