This expansion project reflects the firm’s commitment to its location in the National Register-listed Allentown neighborhood. HHL Architects offices were housed in a 2.5 story masonry structure, built as a residence-circa 1860. It was renovated in 1969 as the new architectural firms’ office. The adjacent property, which served as the site of the 2002 expansion project is a combination of a 2.5 story residence, circa 1860, with a single story commercial store front added in the 1920’s.
The design tied the structure together as one office, and introduced a new accessible entry, lobby, conference room, and office spaces. Raw fiberglass walls, painted steel studs, exposed structural steel members, floating wood stair treads from recycled wood joists, natural maple reception millwork, and the custom designed conference table of steel and fiberglass were all used to reflect the firm’s architectural skills and design sensibilities. This project won the 2002 AIA Buffalo/WNY Chapter First Award for Renovation/Adaptive Reuse.