Category


Commercial

Williams-Butler Mansion Restoration & Adaptive Reuse

Williams-Butler Mansion Restoration & Adaptive Reuse

HHL Architects developed the restoration and a number of adaptive reuse designs of this historic McKim, Mead & White designed mansion, the home for the Butler family, owners of The Buffalo News during the early 20th century. It is located at the corner of Delaware Avenue and North Street in the Allentown neighborhood of downtown..

Darwin D. Martin Estate: Martin House Restoration Corporation Offices

HHL Architects transformed a multi-family, badly remodeled 19th Century-built historic building, located in the heart of the stable National Register-listed Parkside district, into contemporary and efficient office space housed within an authentically restored Victorian exterior. The result added value to the district through sensitive design reinforcement of the character of the streetscape. The newly restored..

Market Arcade & Adjacent Buildings Complex

Market Arcade & Adjacent Buildings Complex

HHL Architects developed the design of a mixed use project involving six existing historic structures in Buffalo’s Theater District. The six individual buildings were renovated to form a complex which houses a museum, restaurants, retail space, offices, and housing. The centerpiece is the National Landmark, Market Arcade Building, originally designed in 1892 by renowned architects..

M&T Bank: Facility Design Guidelines, Southgate Branch

Working with Pentagram Architects, HHL Architects developed a new branch design and produced a Facility Design Guidelines Manual for use across the eight (8) Mid-Atlantic region states M&T Bank serves, with approximately 800 current branch locations. The Design Manual was published in Spring 2010. As part of the scope of services, HHL provided ongoing design..

Delaware North Companies World Headquarters

HHL Architects has designed various corporate and service site projects, including three previous headquarters, for DNC since the late 1970’s. In the late 1990’s, they requested that HHL assist them in reviewing potential Downtown Buffalo building sites for a new, upgraded and expanded, world headquarters. DNC selected the unfinished, newly built, Key Tower Building. Based..

Center for Inquiry Expansion & Renovation

HHL Architects designed an expansion for this research institution providing additional office, seminar, meeting, and new entry spaces. Flexible seminar spaces were designed to accommodate small, intimate meetings, as well as large assemblies upwards of 400 people. Operable folding panel walls were utilized to create flexible volumes for these meeting spaces. A small stage, lighting,..

285 Delaware Office Building

HHL Architects won a design competition to lead the design of this new, 5-story, office building, located on Delaware Avenue, adjacent to downtown. The owner’s program was to create a landmark building that transcended the historic styles of the surrounding context, yet would be a contemporary, comfortable neighbor. The urban building is placed at the..

HHL Architects Office @ 172 Allen Street

This expansion project is a reflection of the firm’s commitment to its forty year location in the National Register-listed Allentown district. HHL Architects offices were housed in a 2½ story masonry structure, built as a residence-circa 1860. It was renovated in 1969 as the new architectural firms’ office. The adjacent property, which served as the..

Canadian Consulate General Buffalo Offices

This project was a multi-phased interior renovation and expansion of high security consulate offices located on the 30th and 31st floors of a 40-story high rise for the Canadian Consulate. HHL Architects provided architectural/interior design services, and mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire/protection, and hazardous material engineering via subconsultants. Professional services include space planning, phase planning, construction..

Westminster Presbyterian Church: Space Study & Renovations

HHL Architects studied this historic church property to assess the utilization of space within the sanctuary/parish hall building as well as the detached former carriage house, now used as an Early Childhood School. Three scenarios were tested which created a new entry point as well as possible renovations to improve circulation and accommodate meeting, office..