Category


Cultural/Civic

Waterfront Performing Arts Facility

HHL Architects was engaged by the City of Buffalo for the design of an open-air facility at LaSalle Park as a part of Buffalo’s waterfront development to house the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, various dance companies and other related performing arts groups during the summer season. Back-of-house performance spaces include dressing rooms and restrooms. The open-air..

Upper West Side Arts Center

The Upper West Side Arts Center is envisioned as a community, multi-purpose arts center. The Center incorporates musical productions, black box theater productions, rehearsal space and artists’ studios in a single facility. Once functioning as a Presbyterian Church, the building was renovated to accommodate the vision of the arts center. HHL Architects’ sensitive design provides..

Unitarian Universalist Church

HHL Architects was engaged to design a new accessible entrance and lift for the Unitarian Universalist Church. The new entrance vestibule allows access to the Fellowship Hall from street level through a newly designed garden walk. Since the Church and Fellowship Hall are identical in architectural style, HHL created a new entry piece that compliments..

St. Paul’s Cathedral Church Parish House

HHL developed a feasibility study for the conversion of the1890 St. Paul’s Cathedral Church Parish House in Buffalo, NY, to affordable income rental dwelling units. The 128 Pearl Street building is located in the City of Buffalo’s Joseph Ellicott Historic District. The project was to be submitted to NYSDHCR for NY State Low Income Housing..

St. Paul’s Cathedral

St. Paul’s Cathedral engaged HHL Architects to restore the Medina sandstone masonry including extensive repointing with historically appropriate mortar and mild cleaning of all the stonework complying with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards. This was followed by a request to design a dignified new entry that could serve all parishioners and visitors. HHL Architects..

St. Ambrose Roman Catholic Church

HHL Architects was selected by the Parish of St. Ambrose when they decided to upgrade their worship space from a 1960’s era first floor location in a two-story elementary school to a stand-alone connected 450-seat sanctuary. At the time, this was the first new church in the City of Buffalo’s Catholic Diocese in over 30..

NYSTA Buffalo Division Headquarters Concept

HHL Architects designed the new headquarters for the Buffalo Division of the New York State Thruway Authority as a representation of vehicular movement. The design represents building roadways that intersect and exchange. The interior space is intended to be flexible and work with the division as it changes over time. The design also utilized the..

Niagara Gorge Discovery Center Trailhead Facility

HHL Architects designed the Niagara Gorge Trailhead Facility as part of a larger project to expand and renovate the former Schoellkopf Geological Museum into the new Niagara Gorge Discovery Center. The facility was designed to serve as a gateway and as a point of orientation to the Niagara Gorge Trail system, housing accessible public restrooms,..

Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum

HHL Architects provided architectural design services for the reconstruction of the Roundhouse portion of the Allan Herschell Carrousel factory. The purpose of the reconstruction was to house the Nationally Registered Allan Herschell Carrousel, constructed in 1916. The work included the restoration of the very deteriorated carrousel which is comprised of wood and steel.

Graycliff Estate Boiler House & Garden Wall Restoration

The Graycliff Estate was designed and completed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1931 for Isabelle Martin, wife of industrialist Darwin Martin, as a summer home for the family on the bluffs above Lake Erie. In 1999, the Graycliff Conservancy was formed, and HHL Architects was engaged in the first official restoration task at the estate,..