HHL Architects developed a Facilities Condition Study in 2008 for the Park Country Club, comprised of the 1927-built English Scholastic Style Clubhouse structure, all accessory buildings (pool bathhouse, maintenance facilities, golf course), including vehicle and foot-bridges on the golf course. Designed by acclaimed clubhouse architect Clifford C. Wendehack, the 50,200 square foot Gothic-Tudor inspired clubhouse is constructed entirely of brick and stone with heavy slate roofs. Interiors are adorned with original hand-hewn wood timber roof trusses, and wood plank ceilings decorated in polychrome paint and ornamental plaster finishes, most of which have remained unaltered for the past 80+ years. The club’s desire to address structural and preservation concerns was the impetus for the study.
The HHL Architects study identified and prioritized projects for the club’s current five-year capital plan and long-range planning needs at an estimated construction cost of $1,314,400. Projects completed in 2009 under HHL’s guidance included structural stabilization of the original wood timber roof trusses in the formal dining room and lounge spaces, and exterior masonry restoration. All five of the intricately detailed exterior chimneys were repointed and capped in copper in 2009. HHL then designed the complete restoration of the entire clubhouse slate roof, which was completed in 2011.