As part of a district-wide master plan, the City of Buffalo Public Schools completed a comprehensive multi-phased restoration and reconstruction. The work at Buffalo Public School No. 64 involved the renovation of an addition to a circa 1930 built, 60,000 sq. ft. existing school building. The existing school building underwent complete MEP and fire protection updates, as well as the incorporation of “smart classrooms”, laboratory facility modernization, district-wide technology improvements, and interior renovations to classroom, administration and auxiliary support spaces.
The new addition adds 50% of the existing space for a total of 90,000 sq. ft. Upgrades include a three-story classroom addition with 24 new classroom spaces. HHL Architects worked extensively with the NY State Historic Preservation Office in gaining SED approval for the connection to the historic building. A new playground and Olmsted site sensitive designs appeal to both users and community members.