“Hutch Tech” High School was designed by architect H. Osgood Holland in 1913. The original building consisted of four above grade stories, as well as a ground floor and basement. The building’s “H” design lent itself to interior alterations and to an addition within the existing volume, which created the required square footage as well as a NYSED compliant gymnasium.
A gym, locker rooms, cafeteria, auditorium and administration offices occupy the ground floor. The upper floors are transformed to accommodate 21st century shop and science laboratory spaces. The massing of the addition is floated in the west “void” of the original H-shaped building plan, allowing daylight to permeate through the original, restored windows as well as the new shop and science laboratory space windows. Complete new MEP systems were designed for the school, a new HVAC system, energy efficient lighting throughout, and code compliant fire protection systems.