Category


Cultural/Civic


Buffalo & Erie County Public Library: Forecourt Addition

The forecourt design focused on improving the Library’s identity and accessibility. An entrance portico was created to give the Library a “front door” on Lafayette Square and to provide elevator access to the building’s main floor. The proposal called for removal of the existing sloped plaza to be replaced with a new level terrace with..

Alfred Village Hall Restoration

Alfred Village Hall Restoration

HHL Architects has designed the first phase restoration of this historic 110 year old former Fireman’s Hall building now used as the Village Hall and Police Station. The first phase work included the replacement of the historically significant metal pressed roof tiles. Also included was the clock tower restoration as well as wood window and..

Corpus Christi Church: North & South Tower Restorations

Corpus Christi Church: North & South Tower Restorations

HHL Architects was engaged to provide design and engineering services for the restoration of this historic church located in Buffalo’s East Side. The cornerstone of the Romanesque Revival church was laid in 1907. Built of Onondaga limestone faced with red Medina sandstone, Corpus Christi was designed by noted Buffalo architects Schmill and Gould. Clock/bell tower..

Albright-Knox Art Gallery: Shop AK

HHL Architects designed the new retail space for the sale of books, quality art reproductions, and other art related items located in one of the nation’s leading art galleries. Several locations in the building were studied, and a small basement location in the original historic 1905 portion of the gallery was selected. The challenge was..

The Roycroft Inn Restoration

The center of the Arts & Crafts movement in the United States for the first third of the 20th century, was the Roycroft Campus which was home to hundreds of America’s finest craftspeople and hosted both the famous and ordinary visitors of the day. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1974, the Inn required a..

Niagara Falls Visitor Center

HHL Architects redesigned this 20 year old visitor center facility, located at Prospect Point, in the National Historic Landmark, Frederick Law Olmsted-designed Niagara Reservation State Park, in Niagara Falls, NY. The ground floor level of the facility was completely re-planned to include a new souvenir gift shop, a new coffee and ice cream stand, a..

Artspace Patchogue Lofts

HHL Architects, in collaboration with Gary Cannella Associates of Patchogue, NY, designed this mixed-use low income housing project for local artists and their families. The village of Patchogue pursued Artspace Projects, Inc. to develop a new “destination” mixed-use residential complex as a focal point to the village revitalization effort. Taking historical reference from a local..

Art Collector’s Residence

The design objective for the residence was to create a series of spaces that evoke serenity while providing elements of surprise. The site, which plays a powerful role in achieving these goals, is located within a clearing that is part of 75 acres of woodland in Western New York. Thus the house is at once..

Darwin D. Martin Estate: Martin House Restoration Corporation Offices

HHL Architects transformed a multi-family, badly remodeled 19th Century-built historic building, located in the heart of the stable National Register-listed Parkside district, into contemporary and efficient office space housed within an authentically restored Victorian exterior. The result added value to the district through sensitive design reinforcement of the character of the streetscape. The newly restored..