In 2016, HHL Architects completed a Historic American Buildings Survey of the Amphitheater (“The Amp”). The survey included historical information about Chautuaqua Institution, architectural information about The Amp, cited sources, and an appendix containing the original 1989 National Register of Historic Places registration form.
The Amp, constructed in 1893, has gone under numerous changes and renovations in its history. Despite all these changes, the appearance of the building has not drastically changed. Except for the organ chamber, it is a wood building, with some steel structure, inside and out.
The liberal use of wood beadboard on both horizontal and vertical surfaces dominates the front-of-house open interior. The pitched roof over the spectator space has a metal exterior and a beadboard interior. Gable ends are covered in cedar shakes. The back-of-house is a three-story structure, with each story articulated by its individual exterior material. The ground floor holds the staging area, and the second and third floors contain the organ chamber and workrooms, respectively.