University at Buffalo engaged HHL Architects to restore the exterior of Wende Hall, which houses the School of Nursing. Wende Hall is a landmark structure, listed on the National Register for Historic Places. In 1955, an addition to the east side of the building was constructed, including a connector link. The addition’s exterior north and east elevations were faced with shot-sawn and smooth cut limestone while the south and west elevations were faced with painted concrete block masonry.
The highlight of the project involved the replacement of the windows with historically appropriate, thermally improved units. The work also included a new exterior entry stair and copper-clad roof canopy, restoration of the original slate roof and the replacement of all copper flashings and membrane roofs, including selected exterior frames and doors. New shot-sawn limestone cladding and stone trim was installed so all exterior elevations match. The solid masonry ‘connector’ exterior walls were replaced by new fire-rated steel and glass curtainwall systems.