Category


Cultural/Civic

Temple Beth Zion Master Plan & Renovation

Temple Beth Zion, constructed circa 1967, was designed by the New York City firm of Harrison & Abramovitz, while the windows are the work of artist Ben Shahn. The Main Sanctuary building is listed on the National Register for Historic Places and its defining characteristic is the encircling walls composed of ten scalloped panels which..

St. Louis Roman Catholic Church

Located on Main Street, St. Louis is the oldest Catholic parish in the Diocese of Buffalo. Designed by Schikel and Ditmar in1889, the 245-foot-tall steeple includes a 72-foot-tall, pierced spire, reportedly the tallest open-work spire ever built completely of stone without reinforcement. It is reputed to be the only remaining pierced spire in the United..

Sisters of St. Joseph Master Plan & Addition

Sisters of St. Joseph Master Plan & Addition

Located on a 40-acre site along Main Street and Strickler Road, HHL Architects designed a master plan for the campus, followed by the first phase of implementation. The plan focused on centralizing public and communal activities, while establishing a clear hierarchy of public, semi-public, and private elements. The first phase involved the renovation of lobby..

Niagara Falls City Hall Façade Restoration

HHL Architects was selected for the restoration of the stone masonry façade and monumental entry stair of this National Register Landmark. The causes of degradation of the stone and concrete systems were identified, and the project was divided into two phases to accommodate funding schedules. Phase I of the project was completed in September of..

Lancaster Presbyterian Church Renovations & Expansion

HHL Architects prepared a Master Plan, designed expanded parking, and then redesigned this 160+ year-old historic sanctuary, doubling the seating capacity to 360. The plan orientation was rotated 180 degrees, (matching the original sanctuary design) and the south wall was removed to expand into a new addition, enabling a new balcony. Existing pews, paneling, and..

Erie County Courts: Master Plan & Implementation

HHL Architects prepared a master plan, which included site evaluation, selection, programming, and concept building design for a new County Court Building. The County ultimately decided to use the existing historic Old County Hall campus for the Civil Courts, the Annex (25 Delaware Avenue) for the Criminal Courts, and 77 West Eagle for auxiliary functions...

HSBC Arena: Harbour Club & 200 Level Club

The Harbour Club and 200 Level Club are located on the concourse and club levels of the former HSBC Arena, the home of the Buffalo Sabres. The food service spaces were designed to focus on harbor views to the west, and downtown views to the north, through 25-foot-high windows fronting on Main Street. Inside the..

Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fontana Boathouse

Frank Lloyd Wright conceived the boathouse in 1905 for the University of Wisconsin for a site on the Yahara River. The project, never built, was redrawn by Wright as a perspective sketch for presentation at travelling exhibits in 1930 and 1931. At that time, the stated materials changed to concrete from the original plaster on..

Downtown Buffalo Strategic Plan

HHL Architects goal for this plan was to create a series of strategic actions to help achieve a new “vision” for Downtown Buffalo. The strategic plan analyzed existing conditions, building on the current strengths of the downtown area as well as potential development markets. HHL reviewed site conditions and opportunities for housing, mixed-use spaces, a..

Corpus Christi Church: Roof Restoration

HHL Architects was engaged to provide architectural design and engineering services for the restoration of this historic church located in Buffalo’s East Side. Built in 1907 of Onondaga limestone faced with red Medina sandstone, Corpus Christi was designed by noted Buffalo architects Schmill and Gould. Included in the scope of work was a complete replacement..