After completing a Historic Structures Report, HHL began designing the restoration of this internationally known Frank Lloyd Wright-designed National Register house in 1992, 90 years after its original design for Darwin D. Martin’s sister and her husband.
The house, a part of the Martin Estate, is a fine example of Wright’s transition to “breaking the box” of traditional architecture. The structure and interiors are being restored to the 1907 date of first occupancy of the estate by the Barton and Martin families.
Multiple phases of work began with terrace and roof restoration and continued with foundation repairs and some art glass window restoration. The final phases included research into original finishes and restoration of deteriorated masonry.