HHL Architects was engaged to provide architectural design and engineering services for the restoration of this historic church located in Buffalo’s East Side. Built in 1907 of Onondaga limestone faced with red Medina sandstone, Corpus Christi was designed by noted Buffalo architects Schmill and Gould. Included in the scope of work was a complete replacement of the slate roof in-kind with custom copper gutters and flashings, which matched the originals in material and detail. The slate, original and new, was grey-black Vermont slate.
All work was completed under the auspices of the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation and funded, in part, by NYS EPF grant program. The project is in strict compliance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Treatment of Historic Properties and received a significant award from Preservation Buffalo/Niagara for Excellence in Historic Preservation.