In the next step for a $10 million East Side housing project, a Buffalo Common Council committee is expected to consider allowing the early-1900s-era warehouse to undergo a proposed transformation.
Representatives from Regan Development and HHL Architects will be meeting with the Council’s Legislation Committee, seeking its approval for the adaptive re-use of the former Monarch Knitting Co. factory at 19 Doat Street into a 74-unit apartment complex that targets low-to-moderate income residents. If approved by the Legislation Committee, the project will go to the full Common Council for a vote and a formal review by the Buffalo Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals.
All of those steps could be completed by late January.
Besides the 74 apartments, the project will include an 8,200-square-foot clinic operated by Jericho Road Community Health.
The 100,000-square-foot building was constructed in 1912 for Monarch Knitting Co. and expanded three times by 1920 to its present size. After Monarch left the building in 1923, it was owned by Spencer Lens Co. until 1946, when it was sold to Royal Bedding Co., which remained there until 2010. A portion of the building was leased to Bond Clothing Stores, which used the space to manufacture coats and other pieces of clothing.
Renovations are expected to start early next year, pending various Buffalo approvals.
Regan is renovating the former Buffalo Milk Co. Dairy building on Niagara Street into a 53-unit affordable apartment complex and previously turned the Packard Building on Main Street into an apartment complex filled with low-to-moderate income residents.
HHL was the architect for both of those projects.